Last updated on March 31st, 2021 at 08:36 am
This article specifically deals with the issue of Error 118, which is usually faced by users while playing online games. So what Steam Error Code 118 is?
Before getting into a detailed explanation of what are the causes of Error 118, it is essential to mention what Steam is and how it works.
Well, Steam is a top-rated online digital distribution platform that is launched and established by the Valve Corporation. It is highly used for purchasing and playing online video games.
Steam eliminated the issues of going outside and purchasing the physical copies of the games. Steam offers efficient and easy gaming management services.
But some reports are stating that the users are now facing some serious challenges while using Steam. One of the essential issues being Error Code 118. It conveys the message ‘Unable to connect to the server.’ This happens when the user is trying to open the store or the library.
Reasons For Steam Error Code 118
It can be caused due to following mentioned reasons
- Firewalls can be the biggest reason why the user’s face Error 118. Most of the time, the Windows Firewall may block the software from making the connection with the servers. Windows Firewall is capable of detecting any software which can be harmful to the computer.
- Error 118 can occur because of some thor party applications which might interfere with some essential aspects and elements of the Steam
- In some cases, the Viruses can also be the reason for Error 118.
- Slow internet connection also causes Error code.
How To Fix Steam Error Code 118
There are various ways in which the user can fix the Steam Error Code 118. The following are specific tried and tested methods that can be adopted by the users if they wish to fix the Steam Error Code 118.
You Can Restart The Router.
As mentioned earlier, Error 118 can appear because of the slow internet connection used by the user. The first thing which he can do is to restart the router. You Can restart your router following simple steps.
- First, unplug the power cord attached to the router.
- Then wait for at least one minute before reaching the plug back into the cord.
- When the Internet access is restored, launch Steam.
- By restarting and refreshing the router, the software can automatically improve the connection speed.
If this method does not work, then you can try the next one.
The User Can Allow Steam Through The Windows Firewall
Another step that you can take is to check whether the Steam is blocked by the computer’s Firewall. If the Firewall is blocking it, the super has to allow it through. To do so, you have to flow below-mentioned steps
- In the first step, press ‘Windows’ +’ Key simultaneously. Then type ‘Firewall.’
- Then you have to click on the very first option that appears and then click on the option of ‘Allow an app or feature through Firewall.’
- Go to the ‘Change settings‘ option.
- While scrolling down to the list, make sure that you check both the ‘Public‘ and ‘Private‘ option for ‘Steam Client.’
- In the end, click on the application.
- Now you can check if the Steam error Code 118 is still appearing.
If this method also doesn’t work, then you can try the other mentioned methods.
Diable All The Third Party Applications
The application which is already installed and running in your computer device may be causing the issues.
For this purpose, you have to disable all third-party applications. To do is to follow the below-listed steps
- First and Foremost, press the ‘Windows‘ + ‘Run‘ simultaneously. It will open up the ‘Run Prompt.’
- Then type ‘MSConfig‘ and click on the ‘enter’ button.
- Then go to the ‘Services‘ tab. After clicking on the services tab, uncheck all the ‘Hide All Microsoft Services‘ options.
- After this step, click on the ‘Disable all‘ option.
- Click the ‘Startup‘ Tab.
- Then click the ‘Open Task Manager Option. Click on the application mentioned there.
- In the end, click on the ‘Disable‘ button. It will disable that application from starting automatically at the startup.
- You have to repeat this process for every third party application. This will disable all the appliances which are mentioned on that particular list.
- You can then restart your computer device and run the ‘Steam Client‘ only.
Check For The Virus
If the Steam error Code118 is still occurring, then the next step you can undergo is to scan for the virtue, which might affect the workings and the operations of your computer device.
For this purpose, you have to make sure that your antivirus is updated and working efficiently. After inserting this, you can scan for the viruses. And if there is any virus, your antivirus can deal with it accordingly.
Thus these were some of the methods which can be adopted by the users facing the issue of Steam Error Code 118. These methods are really easy to access and can surely help you to deal with the Steam issues.